Make a gift of Appreciated Securities
Giving appreciated securities is an easy way to support the MCV Foundation and derive considerable tax benefits, including:
- A charitable tax deduction equal to the fair market value of the securities at the time of your gift
- Avoidance of the capital gains tax on the increase in value
- Reduction of the cost of the gift when a long- or mid-term appreciated stock gift is made
If your securities are held electronically with your broker, send your broker a letter authorizing the transfer (not sale) of shares of specific stock(s) to the MCV Foundation’s main brokerage account.
The authorization letter should include:
- Donor's name
- Donor's address
- Donor's account number
- The date by which the donor wishes to complete the gift
- The name, type and number of shares the donor would like to donate
- The purpose of the gift (unrestricted or for the benefit of a particular school, center or program)
- Originating brokerage's name
Attn: Chrissy Robles, Client Service Associate, Davenport & Co.
Account Number: DA4003319
Further credit: Medical College of Virginia Foundation
MCV Foundation Tax ID #: 54-6053660
Please send a copy of your letter to:
Vice President and Chief Development Officer
1228 East Broad Street
Richmond, Virginia 23298-0234
Phone: (804) 828‐0067
Fax: (804) 828‐5964
If donors wish to make a gift of securities in certificate form, please contact Brian Thomas to arrange for delivery.
As the stock market continues to reach all-time highs, now is a particularly opportune time to leverage your investments’ success to save lives through donating appreciated stock.